How to create a sacred space to reverently watch the Mass in your home.
- Create a prayer altar under your TV or streaming device. Consider setting a crucifix or other sacred art in the prayer space.
- Open your bible to the gospel of the day and place it on your “home altar” to remind you that the Word of God is among you.
- Light a candle to symbolize the beautiful light that shines in the darkness and to help your home resemble the Church.
- Set up chairs like a pew to help you engage in the Mass and keep you from passively watching from the couch.
- Get dressed as you normally would when attending Mass. Keeping this routine is especially helpful for children.
- If you have holy water at home, bless yourself and your family before you begin the Mass.
- Take a few moments of silence to transition from the busyness of your home to the sacredness of the Mass.
- Fully participate by standing, kneeling, sitting and responding according to the rubrics of the Mass.
- Engage in community by having coffee and breakfast with your family after Mass or by calling your loved ones to connect.
Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls
Helpful Guide for Creating a Sacred Space
Preparing at Home for Mass